Tuesday 3 July 2012

Troubadour Top (V8815)



I'm shouting from the rooftops - I love, love, love my new top!

                   Well, shouting from the deck at the sky and at the roof... same thing :-)

Don't worry, I'm not saying I did an amazing job - of course I didn't! It's just that finally I've made the sort of bold, interesting garment I would covet if I saw someone else had it.






I do love the look of these fabrics together. However... the bodice and peplum are made from leftover upholstery fabric that I originally used about 7 years ago to upholster my dining room chairs. It's a really durable fabric - the chair seats still look new - but it has absolutely NO give. You live and learn, but this is definitely not the best fabric for a fitted bodice. The sleeves are in a coordinating raw silk, another leftover or remnant from I don't know where or when - they're perfectly wearable, but I'm not going to separate them from that bodice.

I love the trim on the peplum:

I cut this from a long selvedge edge. If you look closely you'll see the stitching to hold the seams in place (this sort of fabric can be unruly).


I love the stripes matching on the not quite invisible zipper. I forgive the zipper peeking out above the waist seam. I can live with that:



 
I love the stripes also matching on the side seams of the bodice;  I love the curvy triangle between the sleeve and the bodice and peplum: 





But have I made myself an unwearable top?




The top is based on V8815, a non-designer (gasp!), very easy (double gasp!) pattern that came out this year (triple gasp!). This is view B, but with the sleeve length of view C.



I made a size 12 at the top, tapering out to a 14 at the waist. I'll do a full review soon on Pattern Review, but the summary version is that although I love this top, the pattern seemed a bit short waisted and a bit small. I doubt that I've put on weight in the shoulder or bust area (snort!); but perhaps the sizing on the regular Vogue patterns is a little smaller and shorter than on the designer patterns I've been sewing more of lately.

In my imagination I can wear this to work, but I am not really a troubadour or any other kind of performer. And all you sensible people will appreciate that this is not the attire that's expected in a conservative financial institution.  



See you!
-Gabrielle

PS I'll try to get some photos of this on me soon - it feels snug on but it does look to fit!


20 comments:

  1. It is pretty fantastic! If you decide you can't wear it to work normally, you might be able to wear it around Xmas at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin, thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a go at work and see...

      Delete
  2. It is so fun to step out of the box of what is expected and make something totally unique. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes it is fun - like being 22 again!

      Delete
  3. That is fantastic! What a fun garment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous - love the colour, the stripes and the peplum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robyn! Peplums seem pretty great don't they - I know you were rocking a fabulous new peplum-ed outfit just recently too!

      Delete
  5. I think this is amazing, and very designer-y. I definitely think you should wear this wonderful garment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Carolyn! I've been drooling over Japanese designers recently and it didn't seem too way out in that context, but then corporate life is quite conservative. I will have to give it a work outing and see.

      Delete
  6. You've done a great job of matching the stripes on the bodice. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love stripes so much and it bothers me when they don't line up - thankfully these were an easy matching job.

      Delete
  7. Oh my Gabrielle, we are on the same wavelength! I love your striped top. Thanks for the nice comment on my version. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - funny when you find someone out there thinking the same sewing-ish thoughts as you, isn't it!

      Delete
  8. I'm really impressede with how well you got the stripes to match, even on the front darts. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Being nice wide stripes made it easier though...

      Delete
  9. While not exactly casual, could it stretch to casual Friday maybe or with lashings of black to corporatify it! (I know that isn't a word but it sounds good)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casual Fridays at my work seem to be all about jeans, but I think you are onto something with the lashings of black - it could well be the answer! And probably 90% of people (I have mostly male colleagues) won't even notice anything.

      Delete
  10. Very, very, impressive work! This definintely shows your talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra! I am trying to stretch myself with sewing at the moment, and so far so good :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...