Thursday 11 November 2010

The Case of the Misssing Donna Karan Tops

In my inaugural post I omitted photos of a gold top made from this pattern:


The top remains unfinished, but here's what it looks like:

Front view, with self-fabric belt
Front view without belt

Back view, inside out
The fabric wants to stand up by itself but can't quite do it... this pattern really needs a drapey fabric. The thing I want to do to finish this is sew on some gorgeous tiny gold beads around the neckline to hold the pleats in place. I love the beads but I don't have the patience right now for them, and in any event this was just a test run.

With fit established, as well as the need to cinch the top in at the waist to avoid the sack look, I made this dress again as a top using some lovely turquoise silk from Tessuti Fabrics. I bought JUST enough for a slightly shorter top, to be tucked into a work skirt. The photos show it's nice and drapey as it should be, but in this case the pleats seemed very slippery so I top stitched them (oh heresy!). And I'm unfortunately short-waisted.



Neither of these tops has worked out as envisaged, so even though I have lots of a lovely silk print in my stash, I will probably not make the pattern up as a dress - there are too many other new patterns to conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...