Saturday 19 November 2011

Back in the Saddle, and a Japanese (Girl's) Dress

My last post was probably a bit surprising when it was supposed to be about a win! Thank you to all of you who commented; these questions had been getting me down and it really lifted me out of my sewing & blogging blues to read and re-read your perspectives and your kind encouragement. I've decided that even though I don't have definitive answers I should hop back in the saddle... after all, I find sewing tremendously enjoyable, and I so love the feeling of sewing community with you fellow sewing bloggers. My resolutions are to try to post better photos, to think before I post kids' photos, and to not veer too far off (sewing) topic. The bottom line is that I would like to make this blog something I would be happy for a friend or relative to read.

Back to the sewing topic :-)



Here's a little summer dress I made for my daughter just recently. It's pattern 'A' from the Japanese book Cute Clothes for Good Girls, and I've made many variants on this dress before but I do still love it! I think it's a very practical shape for a place with hot summers - the ruffles over the arms shield the shoulders from the sun, and the A-shape of the dress is nice and breezy. I also like that this is quite modest.



I made this in a length and width 120cm, which was a little wide (that's OK, extra breezy!). I swapped the button back for a zip - something I also did when I made this pattern into a little top not so long ago - becase although buttons are cute I think they're annoying for a little person to wear down their back.

And I added two little angled patch pockets on the front (pocket shapes from another pattern in the same book).
The fabric is something I "found" when I was tidying up my sewing space. I think I bought it from an online Aussie fabric shop - it's a cotton, but it's a medium weight and not as silky feeling as I'd expect for fabric for clothes so it's probably a quilting cotton. Regardless, my daughter adores the dress and is wearing it as many days a week as I'll let her - and that's success.

***

I'm working on a recent Vogue pattern dress for myself and hope to be able to prpovide the show and tell in my next post - it's looking Christmassy!

6 comments:

  1. So adorable -- and well-styled with those pink boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course she loves the dress! It's super cute, and so is she:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute dress (and wee poppet). I think blogging is a good record for you to look back on too. A bit like a digital photo album/sewing diary. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute dress and perfectly styled with the pink gum boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dress! Perfect for the weather we have been having. Glad to see you're going to keep blogging and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a sweet little dress and I'm glad you're still blogging :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...