Wednesday 30 January 2013

Fitted Sheath Dress V1137 (1950) V2

Phew - what a relief to produce something that fits OK and that I know I'll wear!






I made this dress using Vogue 1137, a reissue of an original design from 1950.  I also used this pattern to make a dress last year in a stripey dark blue fabric, but last year's version was according to the pattern and this year's includes some changes.

The original is a mid-calf length dress with side vent openings and a demure v-neckline. Since I only had 2 metres of a narrow fabric, this one is above knee length, which means no need for side vents. And the neckline on this one is completely different looking now...



I tried to make this as a quick (ie no muslin, minimal adjustments) dress, but when I tried it on and showed Mr UpSewLate he said something like "what's wrong with the neckline?". The neckline was loose, front and back and the shoulder seams were too wide for my shoulders. I took inspiration from the pleated necklines I've seen at Veronika Maine and pinned away at myself until the fit seemed good enough. Below you can see an inside out view of the bodice against the light - pleats in front and back necklines, angled towards the fullest part of the bodice (well, that's what I tried to do).



I also took the opportunity to add in a bit of a swayback adjustment but looks like I could have taken out more! The upper back is not super tight but sits better than this when I'm not trying to hold my shoulders back for the photo. I quite like the effect of those new pleats...



Do you want a side view too?  The bodice was lengthened in this version by about 1.5cm, and the bust darts lowered by about the same amount.



And because the thought of machine stitching hems now makes me feel guilty (Sherry!), there ended up being hand stitching involved:



Although I'm really slow at hand stitching, the slowest part of the dress ended up being this little feature... which does such a fine job of drawing attention to my lack of waist (maybe a sheath dress wasn't a clever idea!):


The belt strap was fun - made with the buckram from a second hand belt kit - as was choosing the buckle from my small vintage collection. I got stuck on the belt holes though!  Mr UpSewLate and I experimented with hammer and nails, the thing that you use to bang nailheads into the floor, and even a hole punch - he even pulled out a rivet gun (que? well he was going to repair rivets on the lawn mower), but it looked a bit too dangerous. In the end I sewed eyelets on the sewing machine, hacked out the little centres with a quik-unpik, then sewed over them by hand with embroidery floss. 


Ah, a gratuitous "kicking up the legs to celebrate small sewing successes and the sunshine that comes after heavy rain" photo...


 

Wishing you good luck with your weather and sewing over the next days!

-Gabrielle x 

19 comments:

  1. This is lovely! You look great in it, and I love all the little details, especially your vintage belt buckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karin! This is the first vintage belt buckle I've used but the idea of making self-fabric belts with cute buckles is really appealing to me now I've dipped my toes in the water.

      Delete
  2. The silhouette of this dress is perfect on you. The pleats on the neckline are definitely and design win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernice... sometimes these things work and sometimes not; I was pretty glad to have a success this time around.

      Delete
  3. The belt looks pretty good! So does the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... so long as you don't study it too closely! Luckily I don't mingle with sewists much IRL as the belt holes wouldn't stand close scrutiny :-)

      Delete
  4. When I saw the first picture I wondered what pattern had those cool neckline pleats. The dress is really lovely. I envy you your warm weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are some Vogue Kay Unger patterns with this sort of necklines...

      This is the problem with international blog reading - and when it's winter here I'll be envying you your summer!

      Delete
  5. I really like the design feature of the pleats - it is very much Veronika Maine! I actually was drawn to look at your posting by those very pleats. Really nice dress and you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian - I'm glad you know what I mean, the crazy thing is that when I was writing it up I thought I'd include some relevant example photos for non-Aus readers who wouldn't know the brand, and I couldn't find any! Hrmph!

      Delete
  6. Great save and design detail, those pleats. The fabric is the perfect choice for the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty chuffed the pleats worked out! I'm now guessing neckline pleats have a purpose in life other than being decorative...

      Delete
  7. It looks really lovely. I saw that fabric at The Fabric Store the other day (but resisted) and thought how nice it would be in a sheath dress... seems I was right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Great minds...? I'm sure they still have it if your resistance levels drop! Was that the Brisbane shop?

      Delete
    2. Yes! They have their VIP sale on now and it was quite reasonable - like $8 per metre from memory. It has a lovely hand.

      Delete
  8. Great dress. I like this length on you. I also made a belt once and had similar problems affixing the rivet and resorting to the 'hole' sewing stitch on my machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous idea for the pleats! I find I have to do darts as well in this area, so you have been an inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a gorgeous dress. You've done a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...