This week I've:
1. Worked on a muslin for the jacket from V2823, to be made from this sea-green silk velvet and perhaps with this wild pink fabric as lining:
Is it too OTT? the green velvet is more vibrant than it appears in this photo...
I'm currently removing some excess from the front bodice. SBA I guess.
2. Had a trip out with Miss UpSewLate for a zipper and threads that ended in fabric purchases at Tessuti, including the above lining and these couple of scrummy fabrics drying in the sun after their baptisms in the washing machine:
|plain turquoise colour is hanging over the edge|
|a 2.3m stretch remnant!|
3. that I turned into a KwikSew 3169 top for Miss UpSewLate:
Size 6, arm elastic omitted. Coordinating skirt for Barbie highly recommended.
4. Whipped up a quick sewing room cushion with a centre back zip. I used my new cutting mat (thank you Mr UpSewLate) to get lovely straight lines and proper right angles.
Obviously this photo was not taken in my sewing room. It is Sydney, but it's not hot all year round!
5. Got through the initial stages of a pair of shorts...
... starting with a comparison of pattern shapes (would that be your first step too?). My Vogue 1098 Anne Klein trousers fit me really well in the critical areas, but I was interested in the Vogue Basic Design shorts pattern. I thought they'd be a similar shape in those critical areas and that the leg shape might be different - perhaps a bit flared below the hips?
I was honestly really surprised at how different the pattern shapes were! The photos below show these two patterns line up - both have been cut as size 12 except on the inner thigh where the Vogue Basic pattern is cut as a 16 (and please note I am not responsible for this hacking - it's a second hand pattern).
|FRONT comparison. What a difference in crotch shape, crotch length, and hip width!|
|BACK comparison. Same differences!|
Anyway, I decided to stick with the pattern that fits me...
... and this afternoon I cut the Vogue 1098 Anne Klein
6. Ignored a half-made top - double gauze Nani Iro fabric lined in silk but all looking really wrong. I just don't get the drape on double gauze fabric!
7. Made vintage pattern purchases on Etsy, including these:
Now by the way, have you ever wondered why old McCalls pattern envelopes came in colour and in black and white? Like this one:
Patterns for sale in Australia and New Zealand were printed in Sydney in black and white while the American versions were printed in colour. I've seen Australian black and white prints of patterns for all the major brands, and single colour envelopes for the smaller Australian brands (Pauline patterns, for example).
8. Supervised Miss UpSewLate in a craft project. She wanted to make herself a top to match her own special design from a tiny scrap of green linen. Instead we made a simple paper pattern for her, then a muslin, which she decorated.
|the proud artist|
The front picture is trees on either side of a rocket house (NOT a hammock), with a flower in the foreground and small grey fluffy clouds in the sky. The painting on the back is of a bride throwing petals, with a flower girl walking behind her.
I now need to find out how to make crayons and water colours stay :-), and later we'll have a go at turning her fabric scraps into a top using her pattern.
Phew, it sounds like I've been busy!
Back soon with a normal sewing project, Gabrielle x