Friday 15 March 2013

Work(ing) the Skirt


Here's my newest skirt, unwinding on the deck with the red shoes after a day at work...







































Turns out even a basic ponte skirt feels a bit rumpled after being subjected to the cold, then warmth, then humitity and rain, and (the final straw) unexpected exercise including a near nobbling by an allied umbrella.

This little skirt is an incarnation of Vogue 7333, a "Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina" pattern. Though the pattern is new to me it dates back to the year 2000, when hemlines were apparently down to mid or lower calf - I had to hack a fair length off to meet this year's corporate dress guidelines.




I always find the Sandra Betzina patterns to look a bit daggy (does that mean I'm not their target market?) so I was a tad worried I'd end up with a daggy skirt. Count me pleasantly surprised!

V7333 is a straightforward pattern with optional diagonal seams on the front skirt ("opportunity for embellishments") and the choice of a waistband or none. I'm not really big on embellishments where there's no duress (that's why my daughter gets them), and I'm short waisted, so I chose the most minimal version.



The skirt has double darts front and back (4 in the front, 4 in the back), which is all about sharing the load (otherwise known as the tummy). Somehow this works without being too obvious.  And what this means is that the skirt feels really comfortable on and doesn't re-enact a whirlpool as you walk.

My fabric is a thick black ponte di roma, bought last year at Tessuti Fabrics. It's stretchy but hasn't sagged after being sat on at work. It's a good weight of fabric for the skirt, and my overlocker loved it.  Oh, and it seems to have amazing light-absorbing skills.



Conclusion: Don't judge a book pattern by its cover! I'm really pleased to have found a basic skirt pattern that fits my post-childbirth proportions, so you may be seeing this pattern again in more adventurous fabrics.


Apologia:
Sorry it's so hard to see the details in the above photos. I took lots of close-ups when the skirt was resting with the shoes, but then my camera card died in the middle of uploading to the computer and all photos not already uploaded have gone. I did consider taking new late night photos - but the details aren't all that scintillating really.

Sorry for the long gap between posts! I've got another finished garment, a dress - much more exciting than a black work skirt - but I haven't yet taken photos! Maybe this weekend?

Sorry Hazel for taking so long in passing on the award and answering your questions... sorry, sorry, sorry; I don't have a good excuse.

Excitementia:
Got my Elisalex pattern in the mail today - and the packaging is just so gorgeous that I am now convinced this pattern will give me the most gorgeous dress in the world!  

7 comments:

  1. I like and it looks like it fits so well. Gotta love ponte for comfort too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like ponte de Roma for at work skirts as they are so comfortable & yours is well made! Like your top too.
    DeniseAngela

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got so many wonderful posts to come.
    I like that your black skirt works. I find SB patterns a bit dated but I'm not in that target market - yet.
    Nice blouse too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful that you now have a good basic skirt pattern, it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice skirt. I really must get me some ponti work skirts. I looove the red shoes. I have been on the lookout for some red ballet flats for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tnt skirt pattern, hurray! Black is so useful too. It will totally different sewed up in a colour or print.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...