Tuesday 29 October 2013

Stripey Tracksuit Pants

I made these tracksuit pants for my son a few months back but have only just stumbled on the photos - so this make is out of chronological order :).



The fabric is a cool stripey terry knit from The Fabric Store.  The fabric was on sale - I think because the stripes were slightly off grain. I chose to follow the stripes rather than the grain in cutting out because I knew that not being able to match stripes on the side seams would drive me nuts. As you can see, I haven't gone nuts and the stripes are all matched up - yesss!  And the fabric seems to be heavy or stable enough (or whatever property it needs) that the legs haven't twisted.




Originally I'd planned to use this fabric to make a funky sleeveless sweatshirt dress for myself, to layer over other funky knits - but (so far) I only dress like that in my imagination :).



The pants are made using Burda Easy 9672 (some pattern reviews here), sewn in about a size 8 but with widths and lengths adjusted according to RTW tracksuit pants that already fitted.  The tracksuit pants pattern is unisex and absolutely basic, but just what I wanted - I couldn't be bothered to add lots of details to these pants.

I love Burda kids patterns - both those in the magazines AND individual patterns - the fit on these patterns is so much better on my kids than the Big 4, which must either assume quite a big build or have a terrific amount of ease built in.



My son doesn't particularly fuss over what he wears so long as no skulls or scary images are involved, and these are apparently very nice to wear when you're a bit chilly after a swimming lesson. I really should sew more for him - he's such an easy 'customer'! Having said that, even though I have more of this fabric, I don't think he'd be up for a matching tracksuit top... I might have to look into that funky sleeveless sweatshirt dress after all! 

More soon


- Gabrielle x




7 comments:

  1. Great trousers! By reading your post, today I´ve learned the reason why I have a pair of trousers with a twisted leg. I had no idea it was about the grain :D
    Yes, kids, specially boys are very easy to please, nevertheless, I work in the selfish way: first I make something for myself and THEN with what´s left I make something for them. You know they will outgrow the clothes faster than us ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merche, glad to be of some assistance too :)

      I'm operating more on the guilt scheme... make a lot for myself, make stuff for my daughter because she demands it, make a lot more for myself, feel guilty and make something for my son! But yes, the fact that they grow so fast makes the time spent sewing seem less worthwhile to me.

      Delete
  2. Great trackies and wish I had had a pair that looked that good when I did swimming lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you could still have a pair like this now :).

      Delete
  3. These are great. I must check out that pattern for post swimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty, it's a great basic - and nice quick sewing!

      Delete
  4. These are so cute.Boys are easier to please in the clothing dept. for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...